(This is Part Two of my teaching notes from “Developing and Reproducing Leaders” workshop at the Converge Northcentral Thrive Conference, October 30, 2015)
“You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.” (2 Timothy 2:2)
HOW DO YOU GET THEM ON THE TEAM?
- Support-raising: They raise their own support. (Me, John)
- Pastor write letter of recommendation explaining the vision, need, and reasons why this person is the right one for the job.
- Have a time period: 1-2 years.
- Results: poor, jaded, and bitter
- Support-matching: Have them raise their own support and match what they raise from church budget. (Matty)
- This is my favorite because you both have skin in the game.
- It gives them some responsibility and initiative but also a commitment from pastor/church.
- You raise support for them. If you really believe in the vision and this person, then YOU raise the money to bring him/her on staff. (Ben)
- You can do this via a capital campaign, individual meetings, church vote/budget, etc.
- Stipend. This shows a level of commitment and appreciation and creates accountability and heightens responsibility. (Megan, Nolan, Melora, Fabian)
- 90-Day No-risk trial (part-time and stipend positions).
- Josiah – did exactly what it’s suppose to do. Gives him the freedom to get out if its not a good fit. Without the trial, everyone suffers.