(This is the final post in this series of what it means to be a father after God’s own heart)
Perhaps nothing has a greater impact on American society than a father.
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes. (U.S. D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census)
- 85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes. (Center for Disease Control)
- 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes. (Criminal Justice and Behavior, Vol. 14, p. 403-26)
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes. (National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools)
- 70% of juveniles in state operated institutions come from fatherless homes. (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report Sept., 1988)
- 85% of all youths sitting in prisons grew up in a fatherless home (Fulton County Georgia jail populations & Texas Dept. of Corrections, 1992)
Translated, this means that children from a fatherless home are:
- 5 times more likely to commit suicide
- 32 times more likely to run away
- 20 times more likely to have behavioral disorders
- 14 times more likely to commit rape
- 9 times more likely to drop out of school
- 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances
- 9 times more likely to end up in a state operated institution
- 20 times more likely to end up in prison
If you are or have been fatherless, know that this doesn’t have to be you, because you do have a dad who is a Father to the fatherless, tender and compassionate, abounding in love. Find healing for the hurt in our heavenly Father, the dad you always wished you could have.
Ladies, God is the father that you never had or always wished you could have and He is the standard of fatherhood you should desire for your children. Don’t settle for anything less than a man who is committed to becoming a father after God’s own heart. If you’re not married, don’t even think about dating a guy who does not exhibit the qualities of your heavenly Father. And if you are married, demand that your husband be a father worthy of your children.
Men, God is the father that you never had or always wished you could have and He is the kind of father you need to become. Break the past paternal patterns in your family and commit to becoming a father after God’s own heart, so that when your daughter seeks a husband, she will look for someone like you, and you will be thrilled because you have worked your tail off to show her what a good and godly man looks like. Men, let’s break the past paternal patterns in our families and set the standard for our sons so when they become fathers themselves, they will not only carry on the godly legacy, but they will improve upon it.
Men, this is your moment. This is your call to be a father after God’s own heart.
Will you answer the call?